The following information contains a summary of the law which applies to the average dog owner in Wagin. However it is not a substitute for professional legal advice on specific points in regards to the Dogs Local Law 2000.
Important new info for dog owners
From 1 November 2013 amendments to the Dog Act 1976 came into effect. The amendments introduce microchipping for domestic dogs as well as a range of other measures to improve community safety and controls relating to dangerous dogs encouraging responsible dog ownership and recognising assistance dogs.
The Shire of Wagin welcomes the latest changes to the Dog Act. Dogs being clearly identifiable will benefit greatly in the reuniting of dogs with their owners in the event they become lost or separated.
- Dog licences for 1 year, 3 years or lifetime
- Dog owners must provide their dogs microchip number to the Shire of Wagin when registering a dog, the microchip number is acceptable as evidence of microchipping
- Statutory Declarations are acceptable as evidence of sterilisation when the veterinarian certificate is not available
Microchipping of all dogs is compulsory from the following dates by 1 November 2015
- All dogs from three months of age must be microchipped
- All dogs being registered for the first time with the Shire of Wagin must be microchipped prior to registration
- Any dog that is transferred to another owner must be microchipped
Please contact your local veterinarian for costs associated with microchipping.
Responsible dog ownership checklist
As a responsible dog owner you are encouraged to
- Microchip your dog
- Sterilise your dog
- Register your dog
- Vaccinate your dog
- Properly exercise your dog
- Ensure your dog does not engage in nuisance barking
- Ensure your dog is on a leash and under your control in public places
For more information on the Dog Act 1976 amendments and how it will affect you and your dog, please visit the Department of Local Government and Communities, Reponsible Dog Ownership webpage at www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/dogs
Law for Responsible Dog Owners brochure
Nuisance Barking Best Practice Guidelines
Dog owners are required by law to have all dogs over the age of three months registered with Local Councils. Registrations are also valid througout Western Australia so you can transfer your dog registration to another Council if you choose to move home or location.
The period of registration ("dog year") runs from 1 November to 31 October, regardless of the date when the dog is actually registered.
- $20.00 per year
- $42.50 for 3 years
- $100.00 for lifetime
- $50.00 per year
- $120.00 for 3 years
- $250.00 for lifetime
If you are registering your dog for the first time, please complete a dog registration form below.
Dog Registration forms can be found HERE
Holders of a current Pensioner Concession Card receive a discount.
Once your dog is registered you will be issued with a coloured dog tag stating your dogs registration number and registration expiry date. In addition to the registration tag provided the owner is required to attach their name and address to their dogs collar.
Limitations to the numbers
Only two (2) dogs are allowed to be kept at any one residence unless approval has been granted for additional animals to be kept. Application to keep additional animals must be made to Council.
Puppies may only be kept until they reach the age of three months.
Dog exercise areas are
- Reserve 19562 Town Lot 746 corner Jaloran Road and Miller Street
- Reserve 20976 Town Lot 443 corner Tudhoe Street and Bullock Hills Road and
- Reserve 8821 Town Lot 404 Scadden Street
Please prevent your dog from wandering the streets alone by ensuring your home is secure enough to prevent a dog escaping keeping in mind dogs can escape by digging, jumping, running out of open gates and garage doors.
If your dog does escape, it could be seized by the Ranger and impounded at the Shire of Wagin Dog Pound located at the Shire Depot in Vernon Street.
Pound fees will be charged for the release of a dog which is another reason not to let your dog escape or run away.
Dog Impound Fees
Daily Pound Fee - $20.00 per day
Impound and Release Fee - $90.00
Destruction Fee - $55.00