Rebates & Deferments
(Applicable to RATES only, all other charges to be paid in full)
Pensioners who meet the eligibility criteria below, are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 50% off current years rates, or may defer payment of those rates. Persons who hold a seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to the same level of concession as a pensioner.
Seniors who meet the following eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25%, where the rebate is limited to a maximum amount.
Eligibility Criteria - to be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must
- Be the owner and reside in the property on 1 July of the rating year;
- If a Pensioner, either;
- Be in receipt of a pension and hold a pensioner concession card or State concession card; or
- Hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Senior's Health Card; or
- If a Senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interest;
- Register your entitlement with Council or the Water Corporation (Concessions only apply once your application is received and registered).
A Pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to the Pensioners and Seniors who become eligible after 1 July of the rating year.
Please contact Council's rating department where you have rate arrears outstanding on the property and you meet the eligibility criteria. You may be able to enter into an arrangement that entitles you to a rebate or deferment.
If your circumstances change - particularly with respect to your ownership or occupancy of the property, or eligibility as a Senior or Pensioner - you must notify Council and the Water Corporation. Your registration will be cancelled or amended, as appropriate.